Long Beach Police Shoot and Injure Man Accused of Assaulting Multiple Victims

Long Beach Police Department officers shot and wounded a man who allegedly assaulted four individuals, including a person holding a baby, before attempting to break into a house.

Late Tuesday morning, officers from the Long Beach Police Department shot and injured a man who was accused of assaulting four people and stabbing another individual. The incident unfolded after reports of multiple stabbings near 2nd Street and Quincy Avenue at approximately 11:55 a.m.

According to Long Beach Police Commander Michael Pennino, the suspect initiated the attacks by assaulting a man and woman in the 200 block of Park Avenue. He then proceeded into a nearby park and assaulted a person who was holding a 2-year-old baby, resulting in the child falling. Medical attention was promptly provided to the child, who was later released from the scene.

The suspect continued walking southbound on Park to 2nd Street and then proceeded westbound, where he stabbed a man in front of a business. Continuing his westbound path, the suspect was confronted by officers on 2nd Street. They issued commands for the suspect to stop and drop his weapon, but the suspect disregarded the instructions.

Despite the verbal warnings, the suspect persisted and advanced toward a Wells Fargo bank. Additional officers arrived at the scene as the suspect attempted to break into a house on Quincy Avenue. It was during this encounter that the officers shot the suspect. He was struck once and subsequently transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Meanwhile, the four individuals who were assaulted received on-site treatment. The man who was stabbed was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Commander Pennino clarified that while the four victims were subjected to punches and hits by the suspect, only one person was stabbed. A screwdriver, which was believed to have been used in the stabbing, was recovered at the scene.

The suspect has been identified as 31-year-old Mario Najara and is now facing charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and robbery. The investigation into the incident remains ongoing.