Mysterious Disappearance and Death of Missouri Doctor Leaves Family and Investigators with Unanswered Questions

The case of Dr. John Forsyth, a missing doctor found dead in an Arkansas lake, remains shrouded in mystery as investigators withhold details.

The puzzling case of Dr. John Forsyth, a doctor from the Missouri Ozarks who went missing for over a week before his body was discovered in an Arkansas lake, has left his family and investigators searching for answers. The circumstances surrounding his disappearance and death have raised numerous questions, as authorities have provided limited information to both the family and the public.

Dr. Forsyth, 49, was last seen alive on May 21, captured on security cameras getting into a vehicle in the parking lot of a public pool in Cassville. His own car was left unlocked with personal belongings inside, including his wallet, two phones, a laptop, and other items. According to his brother, Richard Forsyth, the doctor had texted his new fiancée that morning, indicating that he would see her soon.

Although his car was later found, investigators have not disclosed who was driving the other vehicle seen in the surveillance footage. Concerns grew when Dr. Forsyth failed to show up for his scheduled shift at Mercy Hospital in Cassville on May 21. His whereabouts remained unknown until May 30, when a kayaker discovered his body in Beaver Lake, Arkansas, approximately 20 miles away from his last known location.

Authorities in Arkansas have revealed that Dr. Forsyth’s body had an apparent gunshot wound, but the results of the autopsy conducted by the Benton County Coroner have not been released pending the completion of the investigation.

Dr. Forsyth’s family and acquaintances describe him as a devoted father to his eight children and seemingly happier than he had been in a long time. He was recently engaged and had recently finalized a divorce. Court records indicate that he had been ordered to pay substantial amounts in child support.

The investigation has left several questions unanswered. Authorities have not determined whether Dr. Forsyth was the victim of foul play or if he took his own life. The connection between Dr. Forsyth and the second vehicle seen in the surveillance video remains unclear. Investigators have not disclosed details about the video, its timing in relation to the text message to his fiancée, or how Dr. Forsyth traveled from Cassville to Beaver Lake. Additionally, information about the cause of death and the discovery of a weapon has not been released.

Dr. Forsyth had a medical background as an emergency room physician, practicing at Mercy Hospital in Cassville for nearly 15 years. He held an active license and had settled a previous wrongful death lawsuit, the details of which were kept confidential. However, the doctor was no longer involved in a 2006 wrongful death case against him and another doctor, as they were dismissed from the case prior to a settlement.

As the investigation into Dr. Forsyth’s death continues, his family and the public await further information from authorities to shed light on the mysterious circumstances surrounding his disappearance and demise.