Suspect Arrested and Released in Sword Attack Incident in Riverside

Stephen Daniel Dillard, accused of chopping off a man's hand with a sword, has been arrested and released on bail in Riverside.

In a tragic turn of events, a shooting unfolded at the Red River Memorial Motorcycle Rally in New Mexico, leaving three people dead and five injured. The incident took place on Saturday afternoon, attracting widespread attention and casting a shadow over the annual event.

Red River Mayor Linda Calhoun addressed the public through a Facebook video, confirming the fatalities and providing details of the aftermath. She explained that five individuals had been transported to hospitals in Denver, Albuquerque, and Taos for treatment, while assuring the community that the shooters had all been apprehended. Mayor Calhoun emphasized that there was no ongoing threat to the safety of residents and visitors.

The motorcycle rally, in its 41st year, had drawn an estimated crowd of 20,000 bikers to the town. However, the festivities took a tragic turn when violence erupted between two retail stores. Authorities later revealed that the incident involved members of motorcycle gangs, shedding light on the underlying dynamics of the shooting.

As investigations unfolded, law enforcement agencies took control of the area. Main Street in Red River, where the incident occurred, was closed to the public, allowing investigators to gather evidence and piece together the events leading up to the shooting. Mayor Calhoun issued a statement urging businesses in the vicinity to remain closed on Sunday, emphasizing the community’s well-being as the top priority.

Several victims received medical attention at Holy Cross Hospital in Taos, while one individual was airlifted to a Denver hospital for specialized care. The University of New Mexico Hospital also received victims and enacted heightened security measures in coordination with the Albuquerque Police Department.

In response to the shooting, Taos Mayor Pascual Maestas issued an emergency proclamation, imposing a curfew from 10 p.m. Saturday to 4 a.m. Sunday and implementing an immediate ban on alcohol sales. These measures aimed to ensure public safety and assist law enforcement in their efforts to address the situation.

The incident has shocked the community and cast a somber cloud over the Red River Memorial Motorcycle Rally, a cherished event that typically fosters a sense of camaraderie among bikers. As the investigation continues, the focus remains on supporting the affected individuals and working together to overcome this tragic incident.