A man in Bahia, Brazil, has contracted tetanus after retrieving his phone from a sewer. The incident occurred during a music festival, where the 30-year-old man dropped his phone into the sewer while urinating. Despite offering $400 to anyone who would retrieve it for him, no one accepted, and the man entered the sewer himself.
In an interview, the man said that he only wanted to retrieve his phone and had asked others for help before ultimately deciding to enter the sewer himself. Fortunately, he was able to retrieve his phone, which was still working properly, but he suffered from bleeding in his foot and showed symptoms of tetanus.
Tetanus is a disease caused by the bacteria Clostridium tetani, which enters the body through a wound or cut. The disease can cause muscle contractions, stiffness, and spasms, which can lead to difficulty breathing and even death. Tetanus can be prevented with a vaccine, but if contracted, it requires hospitalization and treatment with antibiotics and tetanus immunoglobulin.
The man was taken to the hospital, where his wound was treated, and he received tetanus immunoglobulin. After several hours of observation, he was discharged and reported feeling fine. However, he admitted that he had not considered the risks before entering the sewer and warned others not to make the same mistake.
This incident serves as a reminder of the importance of taking precautions to prevent the spread of diseases, especially when dealing with contaminated water sources. In situations like this, it is always best to seek professional help and avoid putting oneself in danger.