Caroline Flack, the former host of “Love Island” pleaded not guilty of assault to her boyfriend Lewis Burton on Monday at the London’s HighJury Corner Magistrates.
Burton is a 27-year-old former professional tennis player and model. On the other hand, Flack is 40 years old and was charged with assault on December 13 by beating him at her home in North London.
She denied that she hit the boyfriend with a lamp while he was asleep after she read some text messages on his phone that led her to believe that he was cheating on her.
About the call of Burton to 999, the prosecutor said, “He is almost begging the operator to send help. Both were covered in blood, and one of the police officers likened the scene to a horror movie.”
She added, “Mr. Burton said he believed the assault occurred as a result of the defendant taking his phone while he was sleeping… she had seen text messages leading her to believe that he was cheating on her.” The court listened to the police officers who were there during the incident and described that Flack and Burton were both covered in blood “like a horror movie”.
Flack was released on Monday with conditions that she should not make any contact with Burton until the trial on March 4. Burton, however, didn’t agree to the prosecution and told the court that he was not a victim. One prosecutor described him as a victim who had “sustained a significant injury to his head”.
According to Paul Morris, the two remain a couple despite what had happened, and Burton is there to support her. Flack was wearing a black coat, scarf, and boots during the court hearing and was being mobbed by photographers.
Flack stepped down from the British Reality show last week after the charge with assault was released. Laura Whitmore replaced her.
She posted to her Instagram stories last week and said, “There have been a significant number of media reports and allegations in regard to my personal life. While matters were not as have been reported, I am committed to cooperate with the appropriate authorities, and I can’t comment further on these matters until the legal process is over.” The former host also added, “In order to not detract attention from the upcoming series, I feel the best thing I can do is stand down for Series 6.”
On Sunday evening, she posted an emotional post and said, “This is the worst time of my life. I don’t know where to go to. Where to look. Who to trust. Or who I even am.”
After the court appearance, Flack posted to her Instagram stories and wrote: “Thankfully I know a lot of you will not believe all that you have heard and read following today’s court hearing… thank you for your continued support and love….”
She further continued, “It’s going to be a relief when I can give my side of the story when I’m allowed to x.”