Despite the predicament Harvey Weinstein is facing right now, he was threatened by another judge to be locked up for using his phone in the court of New York City.
Judge James Burke asked him, “Is this the way you want to end up in jail for the rest of your life, by texting and violating a court order?” but despite that, he was instructed not to answer the question.
The Judge then again said, “What did I say would happen if he so much as a cellphone or electronic device since there have been repeated violations of this, including some on the record?”
The lawyer of Weinstein answered, “I believe you said remand.”
“I’m not looking for apologies, and I’m looking for compliance.” Judge Burke said.
“A bailiff saw him use it and asked me to tell him to put it away and I did, and I handed them both to Donna (Rotunno, lead defense lawyer) and then she reported to Burke in chambers that (Weinstein) was on his phone,” Engelmayer, Weinstein’s lawyer said, “And when Burke came out, he admonished Harvey and Aidala. He had previously warned Aidala and Harvey about cellphone use during an active hearing – not before it beginning while sitting in the gallery.”
If ever Weinstein will be convicted, he will be facing five charges and probably a life sentence.
There were allegations relating to rape and predatory sexual assault by two unnamed accusers, one was raping a lady in a hotel in Manhattan in 2013, and the other one has forced a sex act on the second lady in 2006.
Just this Monday, he was charged with two additional counts – rape and sexual assault. All these accusations were denied by this 67-year-old producer and said all the sexual encounters were consensual.
The lawyer of Weinstein, Adala, asked to delay jury selection and that the jury may have been tarnished already with the press coverage that was charged in Los Angeles.
“Everyone’s phones blew up yesterday … with incredibly prejudicial news alerts (about the L.A. charges). It is the talk of the town. For a prosecutor, this is Christmas morning,” Aidala mentioned while holding a lot of newspapers. “What better present than the morning of jury selection to have him smeared everywhere?”
The Judge denied the delay of the trial “Let’s not keep trying to unring a bell that has no resonance,” he said. Judge Burke added, “I don’t think it’s possible today or this week for there to a be a fair and impartial jury.”
On Tuesday morning, there was a 14-page juror questionnaire with more than seventy questions for the prospective jurors to answer. The potential jurors will be sworn and will be asked about topics as to some past jury experience, qualifications, and if they know, the accused personally.
All sides, including the judge, will have the right to challenge the impartial jury.
After the jury is selected, the trial in New York will begin in around two weeks.
Non-face-to-face concert injuries…Full-scale preoccupation of SM and Big Hit online platforms
K-pop big-name K-pop agencies have jumped into the preoccupation of “online platforms.”
It has already been used as an important channel for K-pop to frequently meet fans from afar as it has been in full swing. However, due to the spread of COVID 19, ‘Uncontact (non-face-to-face) communication’ has become important, and the use of online platforms is in full swing.
SM Entertainment is a leading agency. SM recently signed an MOU with Naver to push for joint global projects to strengthen its global entertainment competitiveness.
By combining SM’s expertise in discovering and producing global artists and Naver’s based technology, the company will join forces in expanding the global market for its “Fanship” platform, a global membership community.
FANSHIP is a paid-in fan club community launched by Naver last year. Stars can manage their fan clubs themselves. It is also possible to disclose exclusive content for fans, and to check what activities fans have done and how much they have used the content.
Many singers as well as actors are already using FANSHIP. Naver is showing its willingness to further expand its overseas fan market by cooperating with globally popular SM singers.
Big Hit Entertainment, which owns the global group BTS, is already actively operating its own fan community platform, Weverse. It has been receiving positive responses for its convenience in easily checking singers’ schedules and communicating in real time.
There is also a special content that will be released only through Weverse. In November last year, BTS unveiled its own travel program “Bon Voyage” season 4 through Weverse. Previously, the series had been released on Naver’s V app channel.
Another feature of Weverse is that it works offline. BTS’ concert in Seoul in October last year was packed with tickets sold out, but it was possible not to line up thanks to its preorder of MDs through commerce platform Weverse Shop. He also sent messages to BTS members, checking the waiting time of the food zone through Weverse.
Earlier, Yoon Seok-joon, co-CEO of Big Hit, said about Weverse and Weverse Shop that it was one of Big Hit’s plans to build a “one-stop service with the music industry.”
Weverse was created by BeNX, a subsidiary of Big Hit. BTS, the team’s junior group “TXT,” and Source Music’s group “G-FRIEND,” which was incorporated as a big hit label last year, are communicating with fans through the platform.
Especially noticeable is that other teams from other agencies besides Big Hit have also entered Weverse. It is a group called “Seventeen” belonging to Pledis Entertainment. This is the moment when the influence of Big Hit and Weverse is gradually expanding.
The Fast Company, a U.S. economic media outlet, recently placed Big Hit on the list of “The World’s Most Innovative Companies 2020” after Snap, Microsoft and Tesla, drawing attention to “Weverse” and “Weverse Shop.”
As seen in BTS’ fandom “ARMY,” loyal fans can help make the team a singer who can influence the world. An independent platform that can only be shared by stars and fans is important to make them a “hot community.”
Mandy Moore Almost Walked Away from Hollywood
Amid a divorce and challenges finding work, Mandy Moore asked herself whether it was worth it to continue acting in 2015.
“I just felt like I was at a point in my life where I was the most comfortable making myself the least priority, and I made myself as small as possible to make someone else comfortable.”
After filing for divorce in 2015, she just wanted to give up acting entirely.
“I had done four failed TV pilots. So, I was kind of at the point where I was like, ‘Maybe this acting this is done for me.’ Like, ‘Maybe I need to hang it up and go back to Florida, go to school, go try my hand at something else.’”
However, the 35-year-old actress never had to make that tough decision to go back home because she landed “This Is Us” in 2016.
Fans of the singer-actress know that she has been a celebrity for twenty years, starting at the age of 15.
A couple of years later, she was able to release five albums and had gotten to marry music producer Ryan Adams.
When she got married, Moore thought it would inspire her to be more creative, but it was reportedly such a toxic environment.
Moore and Ryan Adams were married from 2009 until 2016.
In 2019, Moore spoke against her ex-husband in an exposé published by the New York Times.
“Music was a point of control for him. He would always tell me, ‘You’re not a real musician, because you don’t play an instrument,” Moore continued, “They would write songs together and promised to record but didn’t follow through.”
Adams would even book them time in the studio, but later would just be replaced with other women.
According to the “Candy” singer, because of his controlling behaviour, it was difficult for her to make new connections in the industry, especially at a pivotal and potentially lucrative time. She was at her 20s by that time.
Mandy Moore says that her ex-husband yelling at her and making her feel inadequate and not good enough is psychologically abusive.
But her ex-husband commented on the interview saying that Moore’s “revelation” of their marriage is all lies.