After a year of having the media by their sides all the time, Prince Harry and wife, Meghan Markle, announced on Wednesday that they would step back from their roles as senior members of the royal family and work to “Financially independent”.
Posted in their Instagram, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said, “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year is starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent while continuing to support Her Majesty the Queen fully. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.
We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge, and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our sincerest thanks for your continued support.”
According to BBC News’ royal correspondent, Jonny Dymond, there were no consultations with the other members of the royal family before the release of the Sussex’s’ statement. The Palace is disappointed.
They said in their statement,
In the past, the couple has had intense press coverage since their early courtship in 2016 and the wedding in 2018. In 2019, they got their first child, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.
In a documentary aired in 2019, Meghan has admitted that being a newlywed partner, new mother, and a new royal member was a lot to her. The couple even filed lawsuits in 2019 against a British tabloid because of violating their privacy and committing copyright violations.
$86 million is how much it costs for the taxpayers in Britain for the year 2018-2019. There were some criticisms from the public regarding its use and that it should have been used for something helpful.
In the couple’s post, they have not elaborated yet how they will make money. They talked about a charitable entity and a new chapter. They are hoping for a salary. Meghan had been an actress, and she said she would stop her acting once she got married. She made her name through Drama Suits.
The question now is how Prince Harry will look for a job? Currently, Prince Harry just made a launch on the Invictus Games and had become charities’ patron for specific periods.
According to a former Buckingham Palace press officer, Dickie Arbiter, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision are unprecedented in modern times.
The Queen’s Office made a statement and said: “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage,” it says. “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
Are Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to step back from their royal duties a good thing?