A few weeks ago, it has been expected that the world could have a shortage of paracetamol.
The coronavirus has spread immensely all over the world. From the infected Wuhan to all parts of the globe.
Worldwide, there are already 200,000 confirmed cases and still counting.
Paracetamol is one of the most used pain relievers all over. India who is leading the exporter of the medicine has now restricted its exports.
Because it has been relying on China for more than half of its active ingredients in the medicine and because China has halted many of its production and labor to a stop, there has been a shortage of it.
Despite this worrisome dilemma, there are still places in which you can buy paracetamol.
In France, they have limited the sales of paracetamol to just 1 or 2 per packs without a prescription from the doctor. If the customer doesn’t have any symptoms, he is allowed one box of paracetamol while two boxes if showing symptoms of pain and fever.
For those with GP prescriptions, it is still available to people who need a large amount.
This move came after the health minister of France, Oliver Veran announced that taking anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone could worsen the coronavirus. Alternatives like paracetamol are better.
According to the Infectious disease’s specialist at the Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital in Paris, Alexandre Bleibtreu, the medicine doesn’t act like ibuprofen and cortisone. As such, this doesn’t pose the same risk for patients with Covid-19.
Another announcement that was made was: “We remind patients to use paracetamol. Anti-inflammatories – including ibuprofen – can mask an infection, and potentially aggravate it in certain cases.”
It added, “If you are currently taking prescribed ibuprofen or cortisone, do not stop your treatment, and consult your doctor if necessary.”
A warning is also being announced that although paracetamols are safe and effective, too much intake could lead to severe liver damage. Patients should always follow the recommended dosage stated on the pack and follow the stated time between taking it.
More details on paracetamol:
- Take the smallest dosage if necessary and the longest time between doses
- Respect the daily maximum dose and the maximum treatment time. Take it for 3 days for fever and 5 days for pain if no there is no prescription.
- Make sure that there is no paracetamol in other medicines like for pain, fever, allergies, cold or flu
- People who weigh less than 50kg, those with liver or kidney problems and chronic alcoholism should also refrain from using paracetamol.
Again, for stopping the Covid 19. The government is urging everyone to:
- Stay at home as much as possible
- Keep a certain distance between you and the others, 6 feet or at least 1 meter
- Wash your hands with soap always and use alcohol sanitizer gel
- Cough or sneeze on your elbow than your hands
- Use tissues and dispose of properly
- Avoid shaking hands, kissing when meeting with people
- Stay at home if sick
Read More; Amanda Bynes Pregnant?!